Vacancy – Maternity Leave Cover - RPA Development Manager, Harlequins and England Men’s 7s
The Rugby Players Association (RPA) is the representative body and collective voice of professional rugby players in England which was established in 1998 to look after the interests of all professional players, from Academy players to the superstars of the international game. The RPA offers members Player Welfare and Representation services as well as RPA Gain Line, a comprehensive national Personal Development Programme, to help support their wellbeing and prepare them for life after rugby. The RPA has also acted as the exclusive commercial representative of the England Team since February 2004.
The RPA is looking to appoint a Development Manager (DM) to provide maternity cover for 12 months to work with the following clubs:
- England Men’s 7s
To manage the delivery of Gain Line within two clubs, reporting to the Head of Gain Line, with focus on player welfare, personal development and preparation for career transition.
Key Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Manage the RPA Gain Line Programme within two nominated clubs.
- Manage the delivery of the following strategies to players, achieving agreed performance benchmarks including but not limited to:
- Career and education planning.
- Creation of players’ individual development plans.
- Delivery of personal and professional development workshops.
- Organisation of career insight, networking and work placement opportunities.
- Provision of expert player welfare support and coordination of rugby specific welfare programmes.
- Preparing players for their transition into life after rugby.
- Develop and maintain a network of local providers and contributors to Gain Line e.g. colleges, universities, work placement providers, etc.
- Facilitate the collaboration and integration of Gain Line into the nominated club programmes.
- Maintain a level of independence within the club and ensure all players are fully engaged in Gain Line.
- Observe duty of confidentiality with all player information and in accordance with GDPR requirements.
- Work in conjunction with all other Gain Line Team members to share information, contacts and models of best practice.
- Assist the RPA Player Welfare Director and Head of Gain Line with the continuing development and implementation of the national Gain Line programme.
- Deliver mandated programmes as set out by the RFU/PRL/RPA Personal Development Group.
- Assist the wider RPA Team in delivering key organisation objectives
Key Interfaces include but are not limited to RPA Members, RPA staff and Senior Management Team, RPA Player Representatives, RPA Partners and Sponsors, Premiership Club staff, Industry and Recruitment organisations.
Skills & Experience required: The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a successful track record in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience of professional/elite sports environment is preferable but not essential.
- Experience of career planning with adults.
- Business experience, networks and contacts.
- Experience of learning and development programmes.
- Confident presenting skills and an ability to train groups.
- Experience of performance lifestyle or equivalent programmes within professional/elite sport is preferable.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to build relationships quickly with players, club officials and external businesses are essential. Being proactive and having a positive and flexible approach is required. A rugby background is preferable but not essential.
Salary: Competitive plus company benefits
Location: Primarily at each designated club location (Teddington and Guildford), with a requirement to travel to the RPA office in Twickenham (and potentially other areas in the UK).
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering note, including salary expectations, to: careers@theRPA.co.uk
Application deadline: Friday 13th December at midday. Please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion if you are not contacted within 14 days of the closing date.
Interview dates: 1st interview’s to be held w/c January 6th 2020.