The RPA is the representative body and collective voice of professional rugby players in England which was established in 1998 to look after the interests of all professional players, from Academy players to the superstars of the international game. The RPA offers members Player Welfare and Representation services as well as a comprehensive Player Development Programme to help prepare them for life after rugby. The RPA has also acted as the exclusive commercial representative of the England Team since February 2004.
The RPA is experiencing an exciting period of growth and we are now looking to appoint a new Player Development Manager (PDM) to work with Bath Rugby and another club within a 2 hour drive, to be confirmed based on promotion/relegation.
To manage the delivery of the Player Development Programme within two AVIVA Premiership Clubs, reporting to a Senior Player Development Manager, with particular focus on personal player development and preparation for career transition.
The responsibilities of this role include but are not limited to:
- Manage the RPA Player Development Programme (PDP) within two nominated clubs.
- Manage the delivery of the following strategies to players, achieving agreed performance benchmarks including but not limited to:
- Career and education planning
- Creation of players’ individual development plans
- Delivery of personal and professional development workshops
- Organisation of career networking and work placement opportunities
- Provision of expert player welfare support and coordination of rugby specific welfare programmes
- Supporting players’ transition to life after rugby
- Develop and maintain a network of local providers and contributors to the PDP e.g. colleges, universities, work placement providers, etc.
- Facilitate the integration of the PDP into the nominated club programmes
- Maintain a level of independence within the club and ensure all players are fully engaged in the PDP
- Maintain total levels of confidentiality with sensitive player information
- Work in conjunction with all other RPA Player Development Managers to share information, contacts and models of best practice.
- Assist the RPA Rugby Director and Senior Player Development Managers with the continuing development and implementation of the PDP.
- Deliver mandated programmes as set out by the RFU/PRL/RPA Player Development Group.
Rugby Director, Senior Player Development Managers, Player Services Manager, Communications Manager, Club Officials and Management Staff
Skills & Experience required:
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a successful track record in some or all of the following areas:
- Experience of professional/elite sports environment
- Experience of career planning with adults
- Business experience, networks and contacts
- Experience of learning and development programmes
- Experience of outplacement and/or recruitment
- Confident presenting skills and an ability to train groups
- Experience of performance lifestyle or equivalent programmes within professional/elite sport
Excellent communication skills and the ability to build relationships with players, club officials and external businesses are essential. Being proactive and having a positive and flexible approach is required. A rugby background and interest is preferable but not essential.
Salary: Competitive plus benefits
Location: Primarily at each designated club location, plus working from home along with a requirement to travel to Twickenham (and potentially other areas in the UK).
How to apply:
If this role is of interest, please send your CV with a covering letter specifying your preferred clubs to smunday@theRPA.co.uk
Alternatively, please post your details to the following address:
Finance & HR Director
The Rugby Players Association
Closing date: Friday 1st May 2015. (Please assume that you have been unsuccessful if you are not contacted within 14 days of the closing date)
Interview dates: 1st interview’s to be held 12th, 13th and 15th May 2015.