Role: Head of Communications
The Rugby Players Association is the representative body and collective voice of professional rugby players in England. We represent more than 800 male and female professional rugby players, as well as more than 400 former players.
It is our mission to support, promote and protect the interests of our members, from the moment they sign their first professional contracts, throughout their playing careers, and beyond as they embark on the next phase of their lives.
The RPA has also acted as the exclusive commercial representative of the England Team since 2004.
Role and Purpose
The Head of Communications will be responsible for developing and activating the business-wide communications strategy of the RPA, managing the communications team, and overseeing marketing, PR, digital and brand activity across the RPA Group.
Working closely with colleagues across the business, the successful candidate will be responsible for delivering a co-ordinated approach to all Communications, Marketing and PR activity, ensuring it is fully aligned to the business-wide strategy.
Roles and responsibilities
- Create and drive PR and Communications to raise the profile of the RPA, its achievements and to
drive awareness of purpose-led projects.
- Manage and deliver business-wide communications strategy, covering the RPA’s Commercial activity, Gain Line, Lift the Weight and Restart, the official charity of the RPA.
- Responsible for overseeing all RPA Digital and Social Media strategy, as well as the overall management and development of the RPA website and player app.
- Line manage Communications Executive and Digital Content Producer, including objective setting and quarterly reviews.
- Responsible for managing RPA brand and reputation, as well as overseeing the production of RPA publications and collateral.
- Oversee production and output of video content.
- Manage external relationships with multiple agency partners.
- Manage Communications budget for the financial year.
- Develop strong relationship with key Rugby stakeholders and RPA Commercial Partners.
- Implement and oversee marketing strategy for all RPA events.
- Main point of contact for all press enquiries for the RPA.
- Provide strategic advice to the Group CEO, Welfare Director and Board/Players on key issues, create effective briefing documents, and act as a company spokesperson where needed.
- Effective management of media and press activity to generate positive awareness of all business areas of the RPA.
- Develop strong relationships with key journalists, publications, broadcasters and influencers.
- Create a clear process and strategy to deliver effective and timely reactive PR communications.
Experience and Skills required:
- Proven track record in a senior communications role or equivalent.
- Demonstrable knowledge of elite level sport.
- Proven contacts and knowledge of journalists on regional, national and online media.
- Demonstrable experience delivering effective and impactful campaigns.
- Clear, articulate and natural communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience of dealing with senior level stakeholders, professional athletes and the media.
- Experience of managing and working within agreed budgets.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of website content management systems, photoshop and social media applications – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram & LinkedIn.
- Ability to proactively build effective relationships at all levels as well as with the media.
- Strong written communication skills and ability to adapt style to reflect the needs of the target audience.
- Effective in working with external suppliers and achieving high performance from them.
- Able to work to tight deadlines and respond to changing demands.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, including content planning and creating an effective schedule of marketing communications.
- Must be a team player.
- Engaging and charismatic personality who is well respected within their field and has the ability to build excellent relationships, both internally and externally.
Salary: Competitive plus comprehensive company benefits
Location: Twickenham, TW1 3QS
Closing date: 5pm – Friday 25th October 2019 (Please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion if you are not contacted within 14 days of the closing date)
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering note, including salary expectations, to: careers@theRPA.co.uk