Restart Rugby was established in 2001 to support professional players who have been forced to retire from the game due to serious injury or illness.
It is every rugby player’s dream to combine his job with his passion and wear the shirt for his team, his club and ultimately his country. Each year the game becomes faster, stronger and more powerful. Thankfully, most players avoid serious injury, but a professional rugby career can be threatened at any time: a bad tackle, a collapsed scrum, a serious concussion, an accident or illness off the pitch.
When the worst happens, Restart Rugby is there to pick up the pieces for players and their families. The charity provides financial, practical and emotional support in the following ways:
- Help with the cost of long term or on-going medical treatment
- Assistance to pay for equipment or home improvements to help with rehabilitation
- Support to attain qualifications and retrain in the event of a career-ending illness or injury
- A counselling service to help players and their families cope during difficult times
- Financial support if a player is unable to work as a result of illness or injury
- Medical research and injury prevention initiatives
Restart Rugby also funds the following RPA initiatives:
- The Joint Professional Players Insurance Scheme, which covers all Premiership and England Sevens RPA Members in the event of a career-ending injury.
- The Player Transition Programme, providing support and career development resources to all RPA Members during their first year of retirement from the game.
As an increasing number of players suffer career-ending injury, it is vital that Restart Rugby continues to grow. We are a registered charity (No. 1113160) that relies on the support of businesses, rugby supporters and the players themselves to raise funds each year for those in need. Visit the Restart Rugby website to find out more about the work we do, upcoming events and how to get involved.
For more information on Restart Rugby please click the link below or contact Alex Lines-Scrase on 020 3053 6670 or ALines-scrase@theRPA.co.uk