With Restart Rugby Weekend fast approaching, former England, British & Irish Lions and Leicester Tigers’ lock, Ben Kay MBE, has spoken of the huge significance surrounding the event.
The World Cup winner and Leicester Tigers’ great, has been at the forefront of driving crucial awareness of the charity since becoming an official Restart Rugby Trustee in October 2013.
With Round 20 of Aviva Premiership Rugby (15th-17th April) dedicated to Restart Rugby, the Official Charity of The Rugby Players’ Association, Ben has urged all players, clubs and fans alike to show their support for the weekend.
“It’s vitally important to spread the message of the fantastic work Restart Rugby does throughout English rugby.
“We all love watching the sport but sometimes things go wrong and players can find themselves facing an uphill battle and that’s when Restart Rugby step in to pick up the pieces.
“A rugby career can come to an end at any moment and not always on your own terms, so to have someone there to help you through the transition and assist in building your future is essential.”
With the aim of raising £25,000 throughout the weekend to support current and former players who have suffered injury, illness or hardship, the six-time Premiership winning lock believes the significance of the weekend cannot be underestimated.
“There’s no denying how important it is to support our players, the game is getting tougher and faster, and injuries are becoming more frequent, hence the need to have that support mechanism in place.
“From my first-hand experience of working with the Restart Rugby, the work that goes on behind the scenes is staggering and that’s why I encourage everyone involved within the game to give generously and help deliver the necessary support to our players.”
You can show your support for Restart Rugby and our players in the following ways:
- Take part in the online auction where you can bid for money can’t buy prizes and experiences – items will go live MIDDAY TODAY through to the 15th April. Click here to view the online auction.
- Buy your #RestartRugbyWeekend t-shirt by contacting Alex Lines-Scrase on 020 3053 6680 or alines-scrase@theRPA.co.uk or by clicking here.
- Text – RUGB09 and then the amount you wish to donate to 70070
- Donate via our dedicated online fundraising page – http://campaign.justgiving.com/charity/RestartRugby/Weekend
- Share your Restart Rugby Weekend pictures on social media using the official hashtag – #RestartRugbyWeekend